Friday, May 26, 2006

Fiddlesticks

I am a patient soul. One has to be if one wishes to appropriately instruct the Difference Engine. I am quite prepared to manipulate symbols for hours on end to make the forthcoming Caledon Tram operate consistently, and have done so already, for many, many hours. At the moment all that it lacks is smooth rotation at its turning points, which should be a simple task, even given that, as my fellow scripters will know, Quaternions are the Devil's Work and very easy to make mistakes with.

Something I am not prepared to put up with is the ridiculous frequency of unconnected problems whenever I require to test the latest version of the tram, freezing, slowing down, moving in reverse on occasion, or simply being thrown out of the universe and having to re-enter. I am sorry. As I said, I am a patient soul, but this is...

*marshals self, removes unladylike language*

...nonsense. One might as well try to build things in Rausch, where at least the random removals of oneself from the area have understandable reasons behind them, enthusiastically hostile fellow-travellers. Here, it is the blind universe that I am fighting and I do not like it.

Perhaps one should only be creating small, portable things, or ones which do not move around a lot.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps the trams could be constructed with round bodies, thus allowing a fiction that they need not be turned to "face" the direction of travel.

-CAD

6/02/2006 03:08:00 PM  
Blogger Ordinal Malaprop said...

Hah! Ingenious! It would require them to be rather wide in diameter, though, I fear.

Things have recently improved in the matter of physics and I have been able to test a smoother rotation function, though they (and it) are not perfect quite yet....

6/02/2006 03:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home