Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Towering Issues

I have to say that, while the update to version 1.9 has been delayed for three hours, which will likely cause my fingernails to become practically non-existent, looking at the video by Ben Linden regarding camera controls - a sizeable Quicktime file - gives me hope that I will be able to tailor the view inside of the lighthouse to make it perfectly possible to view the interior, rather than the visitor's camera bouncing through stone walls in an unfortunate manner. This should be an extremely interesting thing to play with, in any case. Top show, Linden Labs! (At least I say that now, on the assumption that other problems will not be broken. It does not do to take a negative outlook on these things when one has no hope of actually affecting the outcome.)


I foresee that it might perchance become used a little much generally, but hopefully the necessity to script it will restrain some of the more egregious uses. And of course, one can always refuse to allow an interloper to control one's worldview.

Edit: Well, looking at the details, it appears that only attachments and vehicles can control the camera as yet, which is something of a blow. But I'm sure something will arrive at some point. Meanwhile, there are other things to consider.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about an open camera control HUD architecture that allows objects to send your HUD a message to change the camera angle? A dialog box could be presented to the user that would require them to consent to the camera hijack to minimize griefing. The HUD itself could have buttons to revert to the orignal camera angle or cycle through any number of predefined camera positions

3/15/2006 08:41:00 PM  
Blogger Ordinal Malaprop said...

Yes, that would be good - even one that just asked you for camera permission, and then had a "Release Camera" button at the bottom of the screen and had to be controlled via llDialog, would be worth it. I'm not really sure what the issue is that's preventing it.

I was thinking along the lines of the "Zelda" games on N64 and Gamecube, where when you walk into a building the camera changes to an overhead type view, activated by a volume detect perhaps. I think the video fooled me somewhat as to the possibilities at the moment.

3/15/2006 08:48:00 PM  
Blogger Faux Press said...

Where did that Linden movie come from? I should like to link to it from my vlog, too. Thanks for the heads up, Odrinal. You rock!

4/09/2006 01:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home