Sunday, February 12, 2006

Scripting tips

Tip jar
Tip jar,
originally uploaded by Ordinal Malaprop.
I have changed the manner in which my showroom operates. Instead of having a few free things and the rest being all very cheap (nothing over L$50), items are now either free or cost L$1 - the latter helping me keep records of who has bought what.

In the corner is the Lurking Crate, which reacts... unusually for a crate, when approached. This contains random items that I've designed but which aren't serious or detailed or working well enough to warrant my building a whole retail box for them. These are all free.

Almost everything should be full mod/copy, although doubtless I've failed sometimes since I am appalling with permissions. Let me know if anything does not meet this standard. New scripts should now have the following licence header however:

// ---LICENCE START---
// The latest version of this script is always available for free
// from Ordinal Malaprop via dispenser in my home area or directly.

// This script may be distributed as desired and used as desired
// under the condition that:

// - this header licence information is not altered;
// - it is clear in the documentation of any item using it that
// the script is being used, with author (just a quick mention
// is fine, e.g. "Uses <script name> by Ordinal Malaprop");
// - it is not sold BY ITSELF, UNMODIFIED.

// I would appreciate it if you let me know if you are using the
// script yourself, but that's not part of the licence.
// ---LICENCE END---


If you are a past customer and I have not already contacted you regarding a refund, do please let me know and I will send you back the difference in prices.

The only real income that my establishment will now generate is via the tip jar. If anyone feels that products from here are useful or entertaining or otherwise worth something, and feels like expressing their appreciation, that is one option. One could also rate me up if one was moved to spend - I do appreciate this as well.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think this is the only way to get some respect without giving all your work out for free? I've scripted some things for my friends, including teleporters, doors, stop watches, etc... and I never charged them for it. Ok, they gave me a tip like you will receive in your tip jar, but that's all.

Maybe a tip jar is the only way to get some customers in SL. Most of the things could be done with a free script, but I thing most of the people won't take the effort to include the free scripts into their work. And many can't do the needed additions, so that's the market for scripters.

2/14/2006 07:36:00 AM  
Blogger Ordinal Malaprop said...

It is true that a lot of people won't even just drop a free script that does exactly what they want into an object. They would rather pay for something and use it rather than build it themselves, which is fair enough (I prefer to buy clothes than make them myself, even though I could, because I find making clothes boring). There'll always be a market there as long as there are people who don't like scripting.

If I was going to script for money, I'd probably do it on the basis of specific contracts - pay me L$XXXX and I'll make you a custom solution.

I've done a fair amount of scripting for friends too and I've never got paid, not that I would want to. Respect and reputation are more important and, well, if they're your friends, you do them favours, that's what friends do for each other.

2/14/2006 12:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home